APPLAuSE Workshop 2017
The Advanced Program in Plasma Science and Engineering (APPLAuSE) - is proud to announce the 1st edition of the APPLAuSE Workshop, to be held on January 18 2017 in the Centro de Congressos of Instituto Superior Técnico. During this event, APPLAuSE PhD students will present their most recent research achievements. Moreover, the workshop will host an IPFN Colloquium by Luís Oliveira e Silva, Professor of the Physics Department and President of the Scientific Council of Instituto Superior Técnico.
The workshop is open to all the IST community, and in particular to undergraduate students that are curious to know more about advanced research in plasmas. APPLAuSE PhD students have prepared a series of interactive activities for these undergraduates, to stimulate their skills in Physics and in Engineering.
- 09.45 - 10.00: Welcome breakfast and opening of the Workshop day;
- 10.00 - 10.15: Opening talk by Program Director prof. Luis Lemos Alves;
- 10.15 - 11.45: Colloquium from prof. Luis Oliveira e Silva. The title of the colloquium is “Extreme Plasmas: from surfing at the speed of light to boiling the vacuum";
- 11.45 - 12.30: Extra activity with master students - Guess the universe;
- 12.30 - 14.00: lunch break;
- 14.00 - 15.30: Presentation from PhD students of different cohorts;
- 15.30 - 17.00: Poster session from PhD students. A coffee break will be served at 16.30;
- 17.00 - 18.00: Extra activity with master students - Straw Tower;
- 18.00 - 19.00: Closure party of APPLAuSE Workshop and first words of the new Program Director prof. João Bizarro.
Giannandrea Inchingolo: “Growth of the magnetic field in kinetic accretion disk: large scale simulations via Particle-In-Cell code”
Anton Helm: “Towards the tera-electronvolt: reduced three dimensional modeling using ponderomotive guiding center solver”
Marija Grofulovic: ”Understanding CO2 plasmas under non-equilibrium conditions”
Ana Inês Dias: "Synthesis of Breakthrough Carbon Materials Using Plasmas"
Diogo Aguiam: "Development of the new multichannel X-mode reflectometer for the ICRF antenna on ASDEX Upgrade"
João Loureiro: "Deuterium retention in Sn and Li-Sn samples exposed to ISTTOK plasmas"
Norberto Catarino: "Erosion and deposition in the divertor region of JET-ILW"
Susana Espinho: "Extreme UV radiation from microwave driven Helium plasmas"